Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The spoon theory

If you are my friend and wish to understand what I am dealing with living with TOS-Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, or if you deal with an ongoing pain condition yourself, please take the time to read The Spoon Theory.<--click the link)

She describes in detail what it's like to only have energy and pain tolerance for doing so many things in a day when you live with an ongoing pain condition...that even though "gee, you don't LOOK sick", the truth is if you stopped trying to keep going, you could look sick really fast because you sure feel like crap.

I post this because I have been SO frustrated recently by people's lack of understanding what I'm dealing with. I look fine, but I take pain meds to keep going and still feel crummy every day, it's a struggle.

I don't want to whine about every detail or be a 'downer' just to be taken seriously, but then I get so mad when people don't get how much I am struggling here.

My hands are swollen today. The light throb is always there in my neck, arms, shoulders. I am tired, and I am very ready to get rid of the cervical ribs and heal and get on with life.
(tears)
I just want my life back.

No comments: