Monday, July 1, 2013

Big Medical Word Of The Day - Supernumerary

I don't know about you, but I know I just hate it when I'm at a doctor appointment and the doctor finally walks in and starts talking with medical words that make my brain cramp.
Sometimes I wonder if they throw out their medical terminology to purposely intimidate, at least it sort of feels that way.
I will never in my life forget the first meeting with one doctor in particular. I was shaking in my boots within three minutes with all the medical language I didn't understand.
Since then, I've been on a quest to learn the meaning of big medical words, to take the power of fear away from any doctor who would throw them out like darts.

It occurred to me that I should blog a series on Big Medical TOS Words, to help all of you not feel so intimidated when your doctors use these words.
So here you have it, the first in a new series...
~ ~ ~
The word for today is Supernumerary.
I especially like this one because it's such a big, scary word, but it's meaning is so simple.
It literally means 'extra', or 'more',  "exceeding the usual number". (linked to Miriam-Webster dictionary definition).
Yes, that's it...'supernumerary ribs' are simply...extra ribs.



See, doesn't sound as bad when you understand it.

**Stay tuned for more, Big Medical TOS Words!