Wednesday, September 10, 2014

My Physical Therapist Says - Part 7


I went to a recent physical therapy appointment feeling a bit discouraged, dealing with an arm pain flareup.
Here's part of the pep-talk my physical therapist gave me-

"This is just the ebb and flow of life. As you work to get stronger, things are going to happen to challenge you; its ok. Hang in there."

*Insert here the sound of a needle scratching across a vinyl record, which is what I heard at that moment in my head.

I told PT that 'hang in there' is possibly the worst thing you can say to encourage someone with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.
Think about it- arms, neck, pain, hanging..."hang in there"?!
We have commiserated about this on the TOS facebook support group; it's not a great admonition for someone living with TOS.

As I was leaving pt that day, I hear from across the room- "...and Robin, don't hang in there."

My fellow TOSers will understand when I say this; that may be one of the most thoughtful things anyones ever said to encourage me.

To all my fellow TOSers-Don't hang in there & Gentle Hugs~