Friday, February 15, 2013

Flareup's are so inconvenient

I recently returned home from traveling over a thousand miles to see my grandsons, sixteen months and newborn. It wound up being an extended trip with lots to do. Unfortunately, I did not listen to the TOS advice I give to others, nor to the signals my own body was giving me.

I over did it.
There was so much to do, much that I do not normally attempt.
Lifting, carrying, bending, reaching, playing.
I just couldn't resist. It was all such fun!

Until that darn pokey, pinchey, pulling, needley, burning, jabbing, searing pain from my ear and neck down through my traps and into my arm. It got really bad.

A doggone flare up.

Just when I needed to be able to make the most of what little time I get with my precious little guys who are growing up so far away, that dreaded irritation and pain surged intolerably.

I had to employ every trick and tool I've learned to fend off a plunging depression.
I admit, the pain pushed me to an emotional edge. I vented a bit, with tears.
Pain has a way of purging the truth out of you like nothing else can.

I was sad, knowing I needed to take it down a notch and slow down, even though I didn't want to.
But I also knew I would be no good at all for anyone if I didn't take care of myself and pay attention to what my body was telling me.
I heated up my microwave rice pack, dropped in a few drops of lavender essential oil, took muscle relaxer and pain pills, got out my mp3 player and listened to some Ease Pain sessions, then some light piano music.
I had to make myself rest.
I proposed my problem to the facebook TOS group. The responses were wonderfully warm, supportive and helpful. Exactly what I needed, a word from people who understand because they've been there.
"Get down on the floor. Let the kids crawl in your lap, no lifting, do the best you can and let the rest go."

That was wise advise indeed for this TOSer.  I tried to heed the advice, though it was really hard for this new grandma to always comply.