Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I can't

I was thinking the other day about when my kids were very small, learning how to do things. As they tried something new they would sometimes say (whine) "I can't".
I would immediately respond with- "Don't say "I can't" because you can! You may say, "This is hard" or "I need help", but do NOT say "I can't."  Something about any hint of a defeated attitude grates my Irish stubbornness.
Flash forward to 2009, I'm sitting on the surgeons exam table for a post-op checkup. I ask him if I will ever be able to return to work. He tells me I should be mindful lifelong to avoid: repetitive arm movement, arms extended out or overhead, heavy lifting, pulling down. He might as well have said as long as you don't use your arms *at all*, sure you can go back to work.
In remembering my kids' pre-determined defeatist attitude, it dawns on me now that attitude I hated so much to see in my kids has crept over me. I've been blaming the pain. The doctor's words about restricting my arm use rattle around in my mind and have turned into the belief- "It's TOS' fault that I can't ...(insert any number of pain trigger activities here)."  Over time I have accepted that "I can't" mindset.
In an effort to be able to keep doing things, I've searched for gadgets to help adapt to living with TOS. That's why I post here about the tips and tricks that help me manage TOS symptoms, because I do not want TOS pain issues to take living away from me.

That's what has been on my mind lately.

Gentle hugs~