Thursday, October 5, 2017

So...my daughter just had more TOS surgery

My daughter had rib resection surgery on the left side this week.
Symptoms have been increasing on her left side for the last four years.

She has restricted her arm movement and done what she could to avoid pain
and numbness for a long time. 

When her arm started going numb washing her hair, it was time to consult about surgery.
Everything went great. Transaxillary (armpit incision). 
There was lots of extra muscle from the small cervical rib. 
All of first rib and cervical rib tip removed along with excess muscle. She found a new surgeon who trained with Dr. Brantigan in Denver not far from home. 
She kept her rib bone this time.

The doctor said he "expects things should really improve for her now".
She's done physical therapy for her right side for nine weeks  to strengthen and prepare for surgery.
Now for recovery...
I'm looking forward to seeing her not have to restrict herself and be able to give bear hugs...just not to me.

I'm an old Grandma now, and I pretty much just avoid what causes flareups- pretty much.
Watching what my daughter is going through recovering from surgery...I think I will just keep living with TOS the best I can.

Gentle hugs~